Thursday, September 11, 2014

First Night

Homeboy,

Where to start?? Your first night home was a bit intense but such a blessing. I think I got 15 minutes of total sleep. While you did great, waking only every 2 hours to eat, your monitor beeped all night long. This device is as loud as a fire alarm! I'm thankful for the alarm because even though it gives lots of false readings it does alert me when you decide to periodically take a large pause in breathing.

We had oxygen set up in our home. I'm still trying to get used to all this equipment. You are tethered to a 7ft radius due to all the wires and tubing. If we want to move you to a different room, we have to disconnect your oxygen and reconnect it to a new tank. While that seems like no big deal, it's caused mommy lots of tears, because you need that oxygen. Even if it's only 10 seconds disconnected you're saturation plummets. I feel like I need six sets of hands. Two to hold you down, and two to replace your sensors, leads and nasal cannulas, and one hand to hold your pacifer in. Ha! Daddy has 4 weeks off to help, which I'm so thankful for.

You have a home nurse who comes out weekly. A physical therapist and occupational therapist who will come to the home to work with you. And a handful of doctors you'll see over the course of a few weeks (pulmonology, opthamology, developmental, and pediatrician).

You're nursing great, taking a few bottles too and peeing like a champ. Poop is a different story. Let's just say prayers are in to get "things" moving because it's been over 48 hours and you're a bit crabby about it.

What a blessing it is to have you home. Your brothers and sister can't get enough of you. They love you to pieces!

I hope to get comfortable with all this equipment soon!

Xoxo,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. I so remember what you are going through . my son came home on oxygen and we at times would have to rub his chest to get him to breath and he was on the apnea monitor and it would false alarm so much . I remember panicking because of how my son would go down just hooking him up to a portable tank . It does get easier you get used to it and before long it becomes normal . I was worried at the time my 18 month old would pull out his brothers oxygen but instead he does the opposite if it is coming out of his nose he puts it in. to the kids it became there little brother it was normal . My son is still on oxygen at 14 months . but now he is into trouble trying to crawl and everything . sorry for the long post just wanted to reassure you that It becomes normal .and you will be a pro Prayers sent your way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lauren, for the update! I am so happy and thankful that Ezra is home with you! I bet his siblings are excited to have everyone under the same roof at the same time! Praise God for His healing mercies, and I hope and pray that Ezra continues to grow and develop steadily and that his oxygen needs will diminish over time. He is so handsome! I love his kissable looking cheeks! Please keep us up to date when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry too much about the pooping. My breastfed baby only pooped once a week until he started solid food. The pediatrician said sometimes they just use the breastmilk so efficiently, there's not much waste!

    ReplyDelete